21 December, 2022

Setup IR remote of "Chromecast with Google TV" for VU TV

TLDR: Try with Hisense branch name.

 

 I recently got "Chromecast with Google TV" in India. It looks something like below image.

Google Chromecast with TV (4K) Media Streaming Device 

While setting up, it gave option to map Power, Source and Volume+/- buttons to TV. This way there is no need of TV remote (almost). This is a really good feature which help get rid of two remotes.

 

But but but...

I have TV from company VU. And while setting up IR for my TV, VU is not in the list provided by Google (Dec, 2022). VU TVs are available for more than 10 years now and they have a good market share but I don't see them in list. I checked list of universal remote providers and most of them have VU in list.

Using a few days with another remote I started exploring the IR codes used by TV (I am from Electronics Engg background and I have interest in such things so I did some IR decoding as well but I did not gain much).

Now frustrated with this, I opened the manual of Universal remotes of a few brands and see what they do for VU TVs. All have one ore more codes related to each TV branch which should be tried with TV and one of them should work. So what I did was took all the codes for VU TV and searched which other TV brands are using the same code (thinking that not all brands use unique codes and there would be surely some overlapping) and then I compiled a list to check.

I was ok if the power buttons works with one brand name and volume with another. Why would I care as long as it does what it is expected to.

Here is the brand list I complied from multiple universal remote manual:

Matching in most manual:

  • Hisense 
  • Daewoo
  • Rolson / Rolsen

Matching in only one of the manual:

  • Brandt
  • Dexp
  • DGM
  • Ergo
  • F&U
  • Fox
  • Mystery
  • Normande
  • Reflexion

 

I started the test with "Hisense". For each brand, the device ask to iterate through multiple codes.

And voilaaaaa..... "Hisense" worked for 3rd or 4th in the iteration.

It worked for power button.

Then for source, it just worked on first try.

And for volume +/- also it worked on first try.


So if you face any issue, give a try with other brands listed above to see if that works.


Let me know in comment if you have any issues.

No comments: